Friday, October 10, 2008

Meditations

I thought it might be ncice to post this response sent to me by a very wise monk earlier this year. I thought today that I should review its contents and check myself in different regards. I thought I would share it here....

=====
Marco,

I think you're too smart to just be drifting around as you are. Are you afraid of the responsibilities that might accompany going to college? Or the challenges?

An important part of the eightfold path is Right Livelihood, but that doesn't merely apply to work - it has to do with where you fit into the world. YOU do not fit into this world as a homeless wanderer. For all the poetic appeal of such a path, you have a potential and destiny to do more with yourself, both for yourself and others. Consider what you can giveback .

Don't let opportunities for greater happiness and fulfillment pass you by.

I would also like you to think about renunciation. Part of renunciation is avoiding the perspective that the "grass is always greener on the other side of the fence". Find your happiness where you are NOW. That doesn't mean you must become a barnacle and attach to the nearest rock. It is merely a warning not to fall into the delusion that things will be better elsewhere. After all, we carry our delusions with us wherever we go.

The Dharma is above all a practical spiritual path. Please think about that.

Whatever you decide to do, there will be support for you if you ask for it. But I think you get restless because you avoid commitment.

Stuff to think about...hopefully it will piss you off a little bit? The role of any Buddhist priest is to be suitably irritating, and I think I sometimes fail by not being irritating enough. :)

Comments:
sodium
 
i am about to sell your sax
 
hey guys! it's a forum on here! how exciting! glad to have the action. sometimes it is lonely. and sometimes it is a waste of time. but toil is never wasted, it warrants weary revelations; "there's so much beauty it could make you cry." life is dirty.

so, anyway.

whoever sent you this message was generous and thoughtful and i agree with them. yes, yes! thanks for posting it marco.

it's hard to be hung-up; but we are all the same in it. i wish, my wish, my desire, my work, is to point this out. that we are all the same in our desperation, in our utmost humiliation, in our weakest moments. that is when we connect. as utterly lonely individuals, we are no different from one another.

i'm tired, rambling. i'm lonely. i'm doing ok.
 
hi good morning

writer
 
you are all loved...
when will we hang again...
 
Never! If we don't know who you are?
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]